Some cool credit file images:
Image from web page 427 of “St. Thomas’s Hospital reports” (1836)
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Title: St. Thomas’s Hospital reports
Year: 1836 (1830s)
Writers: St. Thomas’s Hospital (London, England)
Publisher: London, St. Thomas’s Hospital [etc.]
Contributing Library: Columbia University Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: Open Understanding Commons
Click here to view guide online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online form of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
ast associated with Peloponnesus, and from thatcolonies had been established in several places, many famousbeing at Athens, Pergamos, Cos, Mycenae, and Cnidos. Thatat Cos had been mentioned since the votive tablets here, which,unfortunately, haven’t already been recovered, contained a morecomplete medical record compared to the other individuals ; and some of themwere often quoted by early article writers since the Prognoses ofCos. Hippocrates, who belonged into the cult, is stated tohave been indebted to these tablets in writing his aphorisms. Whenever Rome was indeed ravaged by pestilence, an oracle inB.C. 293 informed the Romans to bring ^sculapius from hisgreat sanctuary at Epidaurus. A deputation had been sent, anda serpent arrived on the scene for the temple, glided down to the shore,and ensconced it self into the captains cabin. Some priestsaccompanied it. When the ship reached the lips of theTiber the serpent slipped overboard, swam to an island, andcurled up indeed there. Using this arrival the pestilence ceased.A temple ended up being built, plus the shrine of ^sculapius ended up being for
Text Appearing After Image:
^sculcq-jius and his Sanctuary. 403 centui-ies paid with miraculous remedies ; and also at thepresent time there is a popular belief in miraculous treatments atthe same destination, although fame is given to mediaeval saints,and not to ever the Greek god. The Sanctuary of ^sculapius. The largest and most famous regarding the sanctuaries was atEpidaurus ; and. as recent excavations help united states to realisewhat the structures and arrangements there have been, a shortaccount from it may be given before explaining what’s knownof the strategy of therapy. The damages are found in the centre of a superb available valleyscreened by picturesque mountains 2000 foot large, plus the site isstill called To lioov (The Sanctuary) by the peasants. Itextended over a large location, and, besides temples to iEscula-pius. Aphrodite, and Artemis, and large dormitories aswards in which the cures had been effected, contained, a race-course, an immense theatre—one of the very perfect yetexcavated,—a music-hall, and hostels for clients to lodgein, and luxuri
Note About Photos
Take note that these photos are obtained from scanned web page photos that could happen digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these pictures may not completely resemble the initial work.
Image from page 124 of “initial report from the geology of east main Minnesota such as the Cuyuna iron-ore district” (1918)
Image by online Archive Book Images
Title: Initial report regarding geology of eastern central Minnesota including the Cuyuna iron-ore district
Year: 1918 (1910s)
Writers: Harder, Edmund Cecil, 1882- Johnston, A. Walfred, writer Geological Research (U.S.)
Topics: Geology Iron mines and mining
Publisher: Minneapolis, University of Minnesota
Contributing Library: Wellesley College Library
Digitizing Sponsor: Boston Library Consortium Associate Libraries
Click the link to view book on line to see this example in framework in a browseable on the web version of this guide.
Text Appearing Before Image:
he iron-ore area. The Cuyuna number part associated with Minneapolis, St. Paul, and SaultSte. Marie railway renders the Duluth-Winnipeg part for this roadway atLawler and runs westward through Aitkin to Iron Hub. Right here it divides,a northern part planning Manganese and a southern part throughCuyuna, Crosby, and Ironton, to Riverton. Various mines are connectedwith the primary outlines by part railways. HISTORY OF THE AREA That iron-ore might-be present in east main Minnesota had been sus-pected a long time before its real finding. It is known that when the NorthernPacific Railway studies the current road had been being made previousto 1870, through what’s now the Cuyuna region, indications of thepresence of iron ore were found,81 due probably to compass disturbancesbeing noted. Mention of variants in th« path for the compass needle •Kellogg, L. O., Notes regarding the Cuyuna range, we and II: Eng. and Min. Sou*., to!. 96, pp.1199-1203, Dec. 27, 1913; vol. 97, pp. 7-10, Jan. 3, 1914. DISH XII
Text Appearing After Image:
THE CUYUNA IRON-ORE DISTRICT 97 in areas of Crow Wing County tend to be considered discovered in addition in the notesof the us government land surveyors built in the seventies, from which time theMarquette selection of north Michigan ended up being truly the only iron-ore producingdistrict in the Lake better region. It had been about 1890 whenever first magnetized surveys were made in eastcentral Minnesota for the true purpose of locating areas of abnormal mag-netic attraction, including are presumed to indicate the presence of ironore. Using this time through to the actual finding associated with the presence of iron-bearing formation inside Cuyuna area, throughout the summer time and fallof 1904, magnetic studies had been made at periods in numerous parts ofthe region. Sometime elapsed, but before the regularity and ex-tensiveness associated with magnetic variations were realized, and now,systematic research work progressed quickly. The majority of the very early mag-netic work had been carried out by Mr. Cuyler Adams to whom belongs a largeshare of the credit of finding and de
Note About Pictures
Please be aware why these photos are extracted from scanned web page images that could are digitally improved for readability – coloration and look of these illustrations might not completely look like the first work.